Thursday, March 16, 2006

In my thirties and loving it...

Dunno if it is my presence that is causing them to behave this way but at least thrice in the last weeks, different sets of individuals on different occasions have wondered aloud if there was life in the thirties.
It is almost as if just by crossing the thirties threshold you have somehow abdicated your right to enjoy life. He may be just about pushing thirty, but friend and colleague Sudhish Kamath has this hangdog expression on when he sighs: ``Just eleven months to go...''. If you didnt know him better, you would have thought he was syndicating his own epitaph.
And then there is this friendly neighbourhood Anupam Kher-type upon whom I tripped one day during my morning jog. Still think it was his irritation at the way I outran him every time he tried to get in my way but he simply had to have this parting shot: ``You are thirty plus now, in a few years you will become like me (shudder! shudder!) and then you will know...''
Still again, there was this saturnine blop across the face of a fellow swimmer when she learnt I was thirty plus (somehow, me thinks, it is this plus thing that makes it even more rib-crunching) and still single: ``I am two years younger than you and my daughter is already in Std. II. What have you done with your life?'' she asked, trying to out-Hagar me.
My life, eh?
And thankfully, I am in good company: even super-successful Shashi Tharoor has had to console his fiftying genes by telling himself, ``Fifty is the new forty.'' And where does that leave me on a comparative scale?
Arundhati Roy understood when she said, ``Thirty is a viable, dieable age.''
Honestly, what is wrong with thirty? Me thinks the number has this beautiful pebble-smooth roundness about it, and suits my Meanwhile personality just fine: I can safely let myself be turned on by both Dustin Hoffman and Aggie Goldsmith.
And you dont have to worry about whether twenty is too early or forty is too late: the thirties offers you a range of possibilities for a range of things, don't ask me what.
What thinks you, reader? Wanna bet on thirties?

13 comments:

Diana Sahu said...

u should be young at heart. it doesn't have to be a specific age where u feel that ..am too old nw... NO. if u r young at heart..u have the world at ur feet.

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Congrats on your celebration of thirty!

Vani said...

Diana:
Yes, me too thinks so...but try telling this to the `oh, you're thirty? I thought....' types and you too would do a Calvin on them and go, `Aaargh....!'
Anyways, of such kinds is the world made..

Vani said...

Swailya:
I knew you would understand...let's go show the world..:)
Luv u too.

Saroja said...

Hey Vani, I think 30 is a nice age.Besides,like Di said,age is a totally subjective thing.

Belated Happy Birthday!

hari said...

Hi Vani,

I am 30+ and I am enjoying my life more than I ever did, in fact, with much more maturity and understanding.

It is the spirit that matters. Keep going. Enjoy.

Vani said...

Hari:
You couldnt have put it better.
These days, I have learnt my lessons too...whenever people approach me with a `Oh, are you thirty plus?' I've learnt to meet them with a look that could make a Antarctic ice bar blush to its roots...
Yep, thirty is cool, thirty is fun and thirty is the way to be.

Vani said...

Ranjani:
Di would say that, wouldn't she, given that she had all the world's photographers chasing her in her thirty-and-going beauty.
By the way, thanks and no thanks for the belated birthday wishes,,,,my birthday is nowhere in the near past or future...it is at least six months away...but, hey, thanks!!!

Roopa said...

These mythical milestones are actually millstones - created by the junta :-)

So chin up - from someone who is closer to 40 than 30

Anonymous said...

Did you mean to say you are in your thirties ? being thirty implies something else... :D

but hey, whatever be the age, stay young at heart and that's all that matters !

R.G.M said...

hey vani,
this is d first time i think i am posting a comment on ur blog. I loved d post.

I would be the second person in d list to agree with Di. Y'know wot, unlike olden day, people have much more things to do, there is a wide gamut of things to experience and discover...n i guess 30 is just d early stage of dat trip to discoverying stuff ;)

I also feel dat nowadays, people who r still in their twenties feel and act like 40s. maybe competition has to be blamed for it.

More importantly, if ur happy n content, age does not matter.

Vani said...

Roopa and Raycatcher:
Couldnt agree more with you. Thanks.

Krishna Parmeswaran said...

Having entered forties, I have stopped worrying. The phrase "young at heart" has accquired a new meaning.
Yet there was a certain stage, just prior to entering thirty, the feeling of being suddenly becoming an elder to most.
Health & fitness matter, not whether you are in your 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's.The sooner one realises it, the better it is for us.